Monday, March 30, 2015

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I am reminded of the first time I walked through the door of my very first ASL class, There was an excitement in the air as I took my seat and looked around the room at my fellow classmates who were waiting for the professor to arrive. They all had the same look of joy on their faces while whispering quietly to each other.

What would this semester be like? What would the professor be like? The answers to these questions would soon be answered as a few short moments later two women walked into the room, one dressed in black, the other in casual attire. They both stood to face us while introducing themselves as our professor and the interpreter she would be using for the duration of today's class.

As I watched the exchange between the two of them I found myself feeling nervous. Would I be able to sign as fast as the interpreter? How long would it take for me to become fluent in this language? Even though it was only the first day of class, all of these questions were swimming through my mind like a strong ocean current that I wished would cease and desist.

Thankfully, as the class went underway the sun broke through in my mind and I began to fully enjoy what I was doing and as a result began to soak up every ounce of this language that I had only begun to learn.

People always ask me how long does it usually take to learn ASL? To be honest, everyone is different but if you are passionate about this language and if you are having fun as you learn then my answer would be, no time at all =)

Until next time....Happy Signing Everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment